God meeting our needs – Redemption
Focus on the theme
1. Think of how the words ‘redeem’ and ‘redemption’ are used in everyday speech:
- ‘He has no redeeming features I don’t know what she saw in him.’
- ‘She didn’t work hard in her first year at university, but she redeemed herself in her second year.’
- ‘Clint Eastwood’s Unforgiven is a typical Hollywood story of redemption.’
What other examples come to mind?
2. How would you explain the popularity of stories of ‘redemption’ (often understood in terms of someone ‘redeeming’ themselves by some significant action) in popular culture, such as novels, films, and TV programmes?
What does the Bible say?
Refresh your memory about the instructions in Exodus 12:1-13.
3. What, if anything, strikes you as significant (or interesting or puzzling) about the instructions?
4. According to Exodus 12:5, what kind of lamb was required and what is significant about this?
5. Why did God require a mark on the door (Exodus 12:7)? (Didn’t he know where the Israelites lived?!)
7. Paul writes that ‘Christ redeemed us’ (Galatians 3:13). Some other references to redemption in the New Testament include: Romans 3:23-24; 1 Corinthians 1:30; Galatians 4:4-5; Ephesians 1:7; Colossians 1:13-14; Titus 2:14; Hebrews 9:12.
- How does ‘redemption’ help us get to grips with what it means to be slaves to sin?
- How does ‘redemption’ help us understand the significance of the cross?
- How does ‘redemption’ help us persevere in the freedom that Christ has won for us?
Living it out
9. Counteracting the fall-out from the events of Genesis 3, Christ’s death rescues us from guilt, shame, fear, and breakdown in relationships. In which of these areas are you most aware of God’s redeeming power? (And, perhaps for personal reflection only, unless you are willing to share, in what areas do you still struggle?)
10. Imagine: in conversation with a non-Christian friend, you get an opportunity to explain what Jesus’ death means to you. How would you do so simply and succinctly using the concept of redemption?
Download PDF:God meeting our needs – Redemption